Skincare 101: What is Vitamin C?
What is Vitamin C?
If you are already into skincare, you already knew about Vitamin C. But if you are just a beginner you might only know that Vitamin C is just for the immune system or to fight colds.
Vitamin C in its purest form is also known as Ascorbic Acid or L Ascorbic Acid mainly for brightening or to even out the skin tone. It also helps to lighten dark spots, pigmentation, blemishes, and also for glowing skin.
But did you know it also has anti-aging benefits? It helps with boosting the collagen production making your wrinkles appear less and slows signs of aging.
But why Vitamin C makes our skin whiter or brighter? Our skin consists of melanin which makes our skin darker. What Vitamin C does is slow or reduce the production of melanin which makes our skin brighter.
Facts you should need to know about Vitamin C
- Exfoliates and removes dead skin cells.
- Helps to improve the absorption rate of the next skincare that you will put.
- Produces ceramide which helps to strengthen the skin barrier
- Reduce inflammation
- Sensitive to sun rays and heat
- Can be easily oxidize
- Perfect for nighttime skincare
Vitamin C is a great ingredient but can be causes irritation if not properly use or use together with other ingredients that are not compatible with.
- AHA BHA and acne-prone skin - similar to Vitamin C is also a type of acid and exfoliator. It is not ideal to use more than one type of exfoliator in your skincare, especially if you have acne-prone skin. It causes irritation and more skin breakouts.
Some by mi AHA BHA PHA 30 days Miracle Toner
Some by mi Super Miracle Spot All Cream
Some by mi AHA BHA PHA Truecica Toner Pad
Some by mi AHA BHA PHA 30 days Miracle Cream
- Retinol/Retinoids - it has similar benefits from Vitamin C but retinoid is actually a derivative of Vitamin A. Both of them are acidic and have a high risk of irritation so layering them together will increase the possibilities of irritation and breakouts.
- Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid - are both for removing dead skin cells and the outer layer of the skin. Vitamin C also strips off the outer layer of the skin, using both will result in thinning of the skin which will make your skin easily get red and tender. Ouch!!
- Benzol Peroxide- can oxidize vitamin C making it less potent. You can still use benzoyl peroxide products, just not in the same part of your routine as vitamin C.
- Vitamin E- adding vitamin C and E serums into your routine, or using products that contain both, you’re giving your skin double the antioxidant ammunition to fight damage from free radicals and more UV damage than vitamin C by itself.
- Sunscreen/Sunblock - most vitamin c especially with high concentration tends to be sensitive to the sun that’s why using sunblock can be your protection
KARADIUM Snail Repair Sun Cream
PURITO Centella Green Level Safe Sun SPF50+ PA++++ 60ml
- Collagen- same as vitamin C, collagen is also an antioxidant. So imagine having 2 powerful antioxidants removing all the bad toxins in your body. Result? More glowing and radiant skin.
3W CLINIC Collagen White Foam Cleansing
Coreana ORTHIA Perfect Collagen 24K Rose Gold Essence
GRITME C Enriched Nutri COLLAGEN Ampoule Serum 24k 99.9% Gold
IT'S SKIN Collagen Power 10 Formula CO Effector
- Hyaluronic Acid- can be combined with Vitamin C products or applied separately as the second layer of defense. While Hyaluronic Acid is still a water-based product, it is used to bind moisture to the skin and pump up moisture levels.
ISNTREE Hyaluronic Acid Moist Cream
ISNTREE Hyaluronic Acid Toner
Some by Mi H7 Hydro Max Cream
It's Skin Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Serum